Old Dogs, New Tricks

I remember being told many moons ago, you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, which to a certain extent is true, but recently after talking to a few “Old Dogs”, that saying has been turned on it’s head. I’ve always maintained that no matter what ideas we have about playing Subbuteo in a solo format, you won’t be the first to think of them nor will you be the last. That statement was proved a few weeks ago, after a chance meeting with an older guy by the name of Ron who lives not far from me. I found out that he and a few of his mates meet up on a Sunday afternoon for a flick about, Nothing serious he hastened to add, a bit of fun, a lot of banter and nostalgia. He also invited me round for a game or two, he said “I’ll drop our rules around sometime during the week”. I was about to tell him where I lived, when he interrupted and said I know, I’ve known your wife since she was at school. Apparently she was good friends with his younger sister, and he had intended to call around after talking with my other half recently, as he had found out that I played the game as well.

The Rules Arrived

A couple of days later when I returned from work on the table was an A4 brown envelope, with my name on it. Inside I found the rules Ron had dropped round, All hand written, with a little note and his telephone number, informing me to give him a call if I fancied a game with a few “Oldies” as he put it.

I gave the rules a read and noticed they were the ‘69 rules with a few house rules thrown in for good measure. It was these house rules that intrigued me, and gives my opening paragraph meaning. So let me explain.

Positioning At Goal kicks

I’ve been down this road before and given you my ideas and thoughts on this, and when I read Ron’s version it made me smile as it was very similar to my own idea which I shared a few blog posts ago, So with his kind permission I’ll share his method which is simple to understand.

At least 3 players must be positioned in each of the 3 quarters outside of your opponents shooting area, the last player can be placed in any of the 3 quarters, but there are a couple of caveats:

1) No players can be placed inside their own 18 yard box.

2) At least 2 players must be nearer to the halfway line than the shooting line in their own half.

Now this method is not far removed from my own  (My Goal Kick rule) but certainly takes up far less ink to explain. I did however think that it may be a little constrictive in actual play, but I have to admit I was wrong, when I turned up and had a few games with these guys, I found it worked quite well, and it put players in the areas that you want them, and was less constrictive than I imagined.

Direct Free Kicks

Solo wise I don’t do direct free kicks, (well not at the time of writing this), my reasoning is simple, well for me it is. Even if I allowed a wall to try and block the path to goal, I reckon I stand a decent chance of getting it at least on target. I don’t want this in my solo games, because my goalkeepers even though they are bigger are pretty darn static, and a direct free kick allows me to place the kicker in the prime position to attempt the shot, but that’s me, it’s not very lifelike but it serves my purpose. Plus what happens to a 4 man wall after, the ball must go out for a goal kick, or a corner to be able to break it up. Hence my decision to only have indirect free kicks, except of course penalties.

Ron and his mates had come to a similar conclusion but by a different bus route, they don’t like walls either, but they do have direct free kicks. The method they employ is the defence have 3 blocking flicks, whilst the attack have only 1 for direct free kicks in the shooting area. Again when I read this I wondered how well this would work in practice. Now this one I tried at home before my visit, with some accurate blocking it was just as effective as a wall, more so in certain circumstances, and I began to see it’s value. When I questioned the guys about it, they all agreed that building a wall took too many players out of the game especially if the defence came away with the ball, I had to agree with them there. I told them how, and why I play the way I do, and there was a puzzled look on a few faces, before one of the guys said “No direct free kicks Really!”. Well that just about summed that one up then.

Offside

I’ve deliberately left this one until last, for the simple reason I’m still unsure about it. So I’ll explain it how it was explained to me and let you make up your own mind.

We all, (well I'm presuming we do), know the Subbuteo offside rule. A player is in an offside position if in the shooting area the attacker is closer to the goal line than the last but one defender, and the last defender especially in solo games is usually the goalkeeper. Now based on that fact offside is pretty simple, but it can be a little fluid if you take into account blocking flicks. Anyway Ron explained that even if an attacker was in an offside position, you can still play the ball forward and as long as the offside player is not the closest attacker to the ball when the ball stops, but it is not allowed to flick the ball. OK I was still with it at that point. So I ask the obvious question can I flick the offside player onside then. Yes I could but I would lose possession, as it would be deemed that I had missed the ball hence losing possession.

Now don’t get me wrong I can see some benefit in this, an attacker in a wide offside position not interfering with the play can be ignored, I get that so I asked why can’t a player in a prime area which is offside be flicked onside. Now the answer I received was to me a little strange but I did see their point, and that was it makes you think about how to create the chance.

OK fair enough you can see what’s what so you adapt your tactics to suit the situation, but to me it just slows everything down a little too much at times. Maybe that’s what they want, and who am I to argue. I didn’t say any more, I was a guest, and I would have to play this way, so I watched a couple of games before I realised how to partially overcome the no onside flicks rule. Forcing a corner, instead of trying to keep the ball away from the the offside attacker, was something that came to mind. This tactic worked to a degree, plus if I was in a good forward position just outside the shooting area, I also tried the touch, touch, shoot routine if possible. But after one such shot the keeper saved,and I then used an attacker who was in an onside position before the shot, to hit the rolling rebound and was penalised for it's now offside position. It makes some sense but boy did it have the potential to become more complicated than maybe I feel it needs to be. Of all the house rules this one made more sense in theory than in practice.

I can see the benefits of not calling offside until that player is deemed active, but no benefit whatsoever in not being able to get that player back onside at some point during possession. So the jury’s out as they say for me on that particular rule.

Could These Rules Work Solo

In a word yes they probably could, although I have my own doubts about the offside rule as they play it, I prefer my own variant which isn’t a million miles away from the Subbuteo variant. We probably all have different ways of interpreting offside in our games, and we all have the right to choose how we do such things.

I may however consider introducing direct free kicks into my solo game as a result of Ron’s house rule, or at least adapt the principle. The goal kick positioning rule is simple and close to my own ideas, so Ron’s house rule in that respect as far as I’m concerned is just as viable in solo play as is my own.

I thought I’d share these rules with you as you can never have too many ideas in your back pocket. I’d also like to give Ron and the gang a big thank you for letting me join in, and allowing me to share their way of playing. There’s life in the “Old Dogs” yet, and they know exactly what I mean.

Keep On Flicking

Ian 



Comments

  1. Too complicated for words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian, very interesting to read. I have just returned to Table Soccer since being a kid and play a lot of solo soccer but also with my gf and a couple of friends. At first I wanted to do it old school but being in the US, access to modern equipment and modern Table Soccer rules meant I decided to go down that road. IMO for solo play, modern rules work better. I would be the first to say I do not think it is quite the replica of Association Football Subbuteo is, especially when you play the advances 1968 rules, but the modern game has a lot of skills and tactics of its own and having a community of players to help with advice has been a great help.

    I get my supplies at TableSoccerUSA. Paul Eyes set me up with 8 teams in generic strips with his latest bases and although I play the modern game, I do like the feel of a cloth pitch and Paul sells an excellent one. The reason I got eight generic teams was because I was inspired by your Bonfire Alliance to create a league. I have now created an 8 team "East Valley Alliance" for Phoenix, AZ. And am looking forward to matches starting next week!

    So thanks so much for the inspiration and all the hard work you do on the blog. I thoroughly enjoy reading and rereading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very rare I receive comments from across the pond, so thanks for taking the time. My honest opinion is the so called modern game is just a variation on a theme, and without it old school players like myself wouldn't have the vast array of kits and equipment available to use. What ever player type you enjoy playing with, or whatever rule set floats your boat matters not, it's all about enjoyment especially when playing solo, or with friends. I'm glad a little of my drivel has been useful to you. You'll must tell me more about your East Valley Alliance it sounds interesting. Thanks for your kind words and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Hi Ian! Well it has been a few months and I have been playing my league when work allows but I did find something interesting in the fantasy realm naming teams after local towns in my area of America does not really work very well for me. In part, I want the feeling of being back in England when I play. So, I think I am going to create a 1970's British League looking at some older team kits and seeing what teams I have match and then letting my imagination run away with me when I play. It could also be the fact I am a commentator by profession so I am always calling the matches in my mind!

      Delete
  3. There is no modern game , there is Subbuteo and a game that appropriates the word Subbuteo when it suits it to do so called Sports Table Football . The latter game was developed by Hofmann and his ilk to circumvent the skills required to play Subbuteo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the sentiment of there's no modern game, it's as I said previously it's all a variation on a theme. I personally feel uninspired by the FISTF game, and it's not really me. But at the end of the day we all flick little plastic men around trying to score goals, how we do that matters little in the great scheme of things. What does matter is we do it to preserve the game in whatever form we choose, Unity from diversity surely better than putting players into boxes.

      Delete
    2. It does matter because a lot of the FISTF players look down on us and are all too happy to belittle subbuteo at every opportunity. Even that Vincent chap who is behind WASPA there is an undertone to everything they write and say

      Delete
    3. They don’t seek unity they seek money towards the FISTF World Cup in Kent .

      Delete
    4. Ian, you are the one coming over as snobby and cliquish in your views. I never once dismissed the traditional way of playing or belittled Subbuteo. In fact, over the past few months I have collected several teams and purchased a box set from 1981 designed for the US Market.

      Further, I obtained a copy of the 1968 advanced rules and am currently playing some trial games where the defending team only can use blocking flicks in their own half of the field to see how that effects the solo games I play. I have also adopted offside rules from the 1968 advanced rules. I subscribe to Table Football Monthly and their Real Subbuteo club and enjoy trying out all their skill challenges with traditional Subbuteo gear.

      There is different skill sets to both games. Both valid, both fun and both enjoyable.

      Ian, you could have said something like: "Craig, it's great you have got back to playing Subbuteo/Table Soccer. Have you considered looking at the older game? You might find it really enjoyable as well. Let me know if you have any questions about it."

      Delete
    5. Hi Craig, I'm a little confused about what have I said to you that has elicited your response, as I have only made one comment on your contribution, thanking you for input and asking you to tell us more about your solo venture, If that is being "Snobbish and Cliquish" I feel I may be missing something here. would you care to enlighten me?

      Delete
  4. Phil Subbuteo Alive & FlickingOctober 29, 2022 at 11:17 PM

    Always great to read about peoples variations on rules/house rules. With regards offside I too play usual Subbuteo offside rule. So a player is offside if in the shooting area and beyond last defender but there must be at least one defender other than the keeper in shooting area or the attacking player can't be called offside.

    However, my tweaks to this are if the player doesn't touch the ball, block site of keeper, prevent a defensive block if a shot being taken then I don't call offside. I just find it helps things flow better especially if it is a player out wide and no where near the action. However onside flicks still allowed. So if you feel there is a risk they might become active you can flick them onside.

    I do use walls for direct free kicks really just to replicate real football. If the ball doesn't go out of play though then defending team allowed to have up to 2 positional flicks to break up the wall and opposition can take the same. Great blog as always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve never really seen the breaking up of the wall as an issue .. if you’re using block flicks whether multiple or restricted you can move a player after each attacking flick if you wish ? Offside ? I’ve always played the standard Subbuteo rule ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil Subbuteo Alive and FlickingOctober 30, 2022 at 2:20 PM

      Ralph in solo play I use Ian's rule of only a block flick allowed when opposition is about to shoot. So potentially if ball stays in play I could have 3 players still stood in a line well after the free kick was taken. In two player games with my friend or son then if opposition in possession in your half we play flick for flick so less of a issue. However if defence gain possession after free kick potentially the wall could still be there as play continues so we will allow the 2 flicks to break it up if opponent wishes too.

      Delete
  6. Good read as ever thought provoking stuff

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with others that it's always good to read alternative ways situations within games are coped with.

    I found that 'holding up' the game for onside flicks and the compensating defensive flicks to be rather a chore, so I now play to the original forties rule, very similar to Ron's.

    I'm comfortable with it, and most of the time it works well. however, in a game yesterday, after the defence cleared the ball, the attack regained possession and had three players in offside positions, all in front of goal. Without the option of onside flicks, the attack would have had no chance of completing the move.

    Defences may use walls at direct free kicks, but if they win possession, will usually try to involve at least one of the players from the wall as they clear to ball, thus getting him 'active' in the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on this on Ralph, I can usually get a direct free kick at least on target, the old guys system did add a little spice to the situation especially with the extra defensive flicks. I always play indirect kicks only in my solo games, just to make it a little harder for myself, especially as the keeper is static. I quite agree walls very rarely featured in tournament and club play back in the day. it offers little protection and puts defenders in positions you don't need.

      Delete
    2. I can imagine that being the case with flats. many years ago a friend of mine made a barrier a bit like the goalkeeping rebound board, obviously smaller about the width and height of 4 players, and if a wall was needed the barrier was placed in front of the wall, you had to clear it then. Can you imagine the abuse you'd get if you whipped that out in a tournament.

      Delete
    3. Yes my Dad made a
      similar thing from clear plastic .. not sure if he ever used it ..
      he also used plastic yoghurt pots as a solo keeping device. He simply cut section and placed it over the wire .. never tried either myself

      Delete
  8. Tablesoccerusa prices are totally ripoff...they charge 30 dollars for 5 balls on ebay when ive seen it go for 5 pounds in the uk. I understand its tough to get stuff over from uk to here but thats just scandalous pricing. Will never buy from them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking The Mould

Offside Clear and Obvious?

My House, My Rules