To Block or Not To Block

Well this is a question which will forever be debated amongst solo players, I’ve seen many variations from none, some, always, and then there’s the custom rules which only allow blocking when the ball is in certain areas of the pitch, or even a limited amount of blocking per one period of possession, the list goes on. Again there’s no right or wrong way to do this, but you as a solo player have to be comfortable with the system you play with. One could simply play by the elementary rules which were the original Subbuteo rules to get one accustomed to the game, which has no blocking at all. Or play the FISTF rules which allows blocking all over the place at any time.
 

My Solution

My take on all this is if you use continuous blocking in a solo game, it’s done on an I go, you go, basis and can, and often does stem the flow of the game, of course it works well when playing a live opponent as it then depends on ones speed and tactics. But when playing by oneself I feel the better the flow, the better the enjoyment. If you take a look at the 1967 Advanced rules (available on the downloads page) the blocking rule is that when the attack play the ball in the defenders half the defence can have 3 blocking flicks, taken alternatively to the attacks flicks as long as the attack play the ball forwards. If the attack pass back the amount of defensive flicks is set back to three the next time the ball is again played forward. Now that could possibly work, but there is a lot to think about counting defensive flicks, how many times an attacker has played the ball etc. I played this way at first, and it sort of worked out OK. I felt it could be better, and easier (for myself I hasten to add), So I tried no blocking flicks. That sort of works, the game flows but the goals per game did rise, which is not a bad thing in principle but a defensive line that had been moved out of position stayed out of position until a goal kick or a goal ensued when the line could be reorganised. I don’t know how you feel about that, but I felt I was going backwards with my play. 
So a few tweaks later I allowed a blocking flick once the attack had played the ball inside the defence shooting area that went some way to redressing the balance, It allowed the attack to play the ball into their opponents shooting area, and have a first time shot without the defenders having a chance to block. If they played the ball again the defenders can then take their block. The problem arose when the shot was saved or hit the post etc.(I play the rule that the team nearest the ball if it comes out of the 6 yard box takes possession as goalkeepers and the woodwork are neutral) if the attack is still in possession, do the defenders now get a block or not. I’m a great believer in making my rules as definitive as I can, if something happens one knows what to do no arguments it just happens, but I also wanted my rules to be as unbiased as I could make them. So a little more thinking and scratching of my nether regions went on before I tweaked again. This time the attack can still have a first time shot but if it hits the goalkeeper or woodwork and the attack is still in possession, the defenders get a blocking flick after the attack next play the ball, whether or not they have already had a blocking flick, also the blocking flick is reset if the attack play the ball out of the defenders shooting area. Clear as a muddy puddle eh? But it works quite well, I find it simple to use and administer, it sorts of becomes natural after a time, (as most things do if you do them on a regular basis), It doesn’t really disrupt the flow of a game, and gives the defence some hope of blocking a potential threat.
 
 
  Waterloo Rovers lining up a shot against Lewes Borough in the Alliance Premier
 

Other Considerations

Another thing to consider is what happens if the defenders block commits a foul i.e. makes contact with an attacker, or hits the ball. One could simply play a back by putting the ball, and all players involved back to their original positions like the Subbuteo rules suggest, I’m not a fan of backs in open play I find it a bit of a faff. In my Solo World a foul is a foul, if a defender strikes an attacker it’s a bad tackle and a foul, if the defender strikes the ball it’s handball and again a foul, if it happens in the penalty area it’s a penalty. The attacker now has the choice of playing on from the current position, taking the free kick, or playing an advantage which allows the attacker and ball to be replaced and the defender is moved parallel to the goal line until it is at least 90mm from the ball and 25mm from an attacker, and keeps moving until it is. Now I hear you cry this is a back! Well yeah sort of, but extremely useful in the shooting area as it moves the penalised defender well out of the way, I’m not a fan of the back rule, but by adding that it covers most scenarios and situations my games throw up, It makes defensive blocking a little more precise as the consequences can be devastating. The same rule applies to onside flicks but I'll discuss that at a later date.

To Summarise

1 - During a period of possession once the ball has been played by the attack within the shooting area, (i.e. a ball in the area not played into the area), the defence can have one defensive flick.

2 - Goalkeepers and the woodwork are neutral regarding possession if the ball comes out of the 6 yard box, its the nearest player or last player to touch the ball who gains possession. So if the attack are still adjudged to be in possession no loss of possession occurs. But the defence get a blocking flick (taken after the attack have played the ball providing the ball is still in the area when the attack take possession), even if a blocking flick has already been taken. 

3 - If the attack play the ball out of the area the defensive flick is reset.

4 - If the defensive flick hits an attacker or touches the ball a free kick is awarded. If in the penalty area a penalty is awarded. The attacker can ignore this and play an advantage, If Advantage is played the figure and ball are replaced to their approximate original position and the Offender is moved parallel to the goal line in any direction and must be 90mm from the ball and 25mm from another figure, (In other words it keeps moving until it complies), or the team now in possession just simply plays on with no repositioning of figures or ball.
 
I can only tell you how I incorporate blocking, I’d love to hear your comments on this. How do you play? Do you play a blocking game? Or do you have custom rules like myself.

Keep On Flicking
 
Ian

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

  1. Hola me encanta su blog, espero que entienda el español o use el traductor de Google. Mi regla para los turnos de bloqueo es la siguiente : movimiento defensivo después de un saque indirecto. También esta permitido el movimiento defensivo despues de un pase, no al realizarlo, si no cuando la nueva figura del equipo atacante golpea el balon. Esto es todo, es sencillo jisto lo que busco y permite bastante fluidez a la hora de conducir el balon con un solo jigador.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juegas de manera muy similar a un amigo mío, sus bloqueos ocurren después de que cada nuevo atacante juega la pelota. En el área de tiro, pero solo bloquea antes de un disparo. Haremos las cosas un poco diferentes, y esa es una de las cosas que hace que los juegos en solitario sean únicos, gracias por compartir el tuyo.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking The Mould

Offside Clear and Obvious?

My House, My Rules