What’s The Best Rules Version For Solo Play?

It’s a question I’ve been asked a few times in the past, is there a version of the rules that can be used to play solo without much or any alterations. I’ll try to answer that from a personal point of view after discussing a few things first.

After recently talking to a lifelong friend, Sean Taylor the conversation eventually got round to Subbuteo as it somehow always does when we get together. Sean and I both played for the same club during our youth, Sean played a little longer than myself at that level, and would probably be regarded as the better player, but that aside we both had a healthy passion for Subbuteo which is still with us to this day.

Sean was saying that he was never interested in solo play until the Government locked us down, and stopped football. He quite quickly became obsessed with getting some kind of football fix. That is a very similar story to my own, and my reasons for starting to, or should I say attempting to play the game single handed.

He and I quickly saw the pitfalls of solo play, we both came from the same era, played to the same rules, and many times had faced one another across the baize. You could probably say we were in sync at that point, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Our solo rules both contain the core values of the game, regarding possession, shooting etc. and that’s about all, then our brains seem to flow in different directions.

Attack or Defence Minded

When I played I was quite attack minded, my formations and attitudes towards the game to me were simple, play the game in the opposition half, if I had the ball it was their job to get it off me. Sean was a little more defence minded, more cautious but at times could be quick when moving the ball, and to devastating effect at times. When playing each other he would gladly let me attack his well structured defence, and use a counter attack to good effect.

That didn’t however stop me playing my way. Sean didn’t always beat me, he may have been ahead overall, but it was never a forgone conclusion that Sean would come out on top.

So looking at our solo rules there is evidence that the way we played then, has influenced the necessary solo "House Rules" we incorporate today.

Subtle Differences

The major differences between our rules are fairly plain and clear cut, he blocks more than I do. He blocks before a different attacking player plays the ball, I block before a shot, Now I’m not going to explain Sean’s method in detail, but I think you get the idea. He’s actually playing a form of continuous blocking but on a slightly diluted scale. His reasoning so he tells me is it stops him trying to out think himself. I disagreed on this principle saying that when both of us played the game back in the day we thought at least one move ahead, so when we were in possession we knew what we intended to do next. He interjected by saying that the defence was not just a reactive thing it was an attempt to try and nullify any threat. My observation to Sean of playing solo this way is, you know what the threat is anyway so defending this way should be simpler. Lets say on that particular point we agreed to disagree. I think that may highlight our differing approach to the solo game.

Is There A Right or Wrong Way?

In essence no, it’s all down to perception. Many solo players may not have played the game as Sean and I have, therefore that perception may be somewhat different, There again Sean and I have differing perceptions anyway, and we both at one time played the game the same way. On the odd occasions we play each other nowadays we still play that same way. Independently however our solo games use differing rules. On that score he and I will probably never agree, but we don’t have to do we, as long as individuals our perceptions are maintained by our own version of the rules we use.

But It Doesn’t Stop At Solo

Even players that play against live opponents don’t always comply to recognised versions of the rules, and as long as the “House Rules” are acceptable to all parties games can be played with the same enjoyment as using the so called “Conventional” rules.

Some time back Keith Littler of Tabletop Years formed his “Real Subbuteo Club”, and good luck to him. He himself has developed a version of the 1968 Official Subbuteo rules to use, and there’s nothing wrong with that, as long as all parties playing his version, agree with the obvious modifications and omissions that Keith has decided upon. It’s his perception, it may not be mine but as long as everyone complies there really isn’t a problem is there.

Even the Club I played at had one or two House Rules, mainly regarding the use of the Flicking Keeper, these differed slightly from the competition ETF rules of the day but it made little difference providing you were aware of those changes on those occasions, ensuring you were unlikely to fall foul of the competition rules.

Do Solo Rules Work In Two Player Games

In my own case I’d say no, but I can’t speak for everyone. To my way of thinking the solo game differs from the two player version and the adaptions I’ve put in place just wouldn’t work when used against an actual opponent, although saying that some players have informed me that they have tried some of my solo rules in two player games with favourable results. That I find surprising as my adaptions were never intended to be integrated into two player games, they’re there to allow me to play solo. To me it’s like trying to play chess solo, which is possible providing one side adheres to certain perceived strategies or uses some form of A.I. When playing a live opponent they may not adhere or conform to such strategies, giving the game a slightly different complexion.

So To Answer The Question

So after all the previous waffle I feel an answer to the question which I’ve been asked a few times in the past needs to be answered. What’s the best rules for solo play? The answer is simple, it doesn’t matter. Any version either official or home brew will work solo, as long as they make sense to the individual concerned. Is there a version that lends itself better to solo play? Again I’d say no, any version of the two player rules I feel can be adapted to allow solo play, as what is needed from my stand point is a set of rules that allows, or at least takes away the problem of having to think about both sides at the same time. No two player rules will ever satisfy that, it’s the adaptions and house rules we put in place that handle our lack of an opponent. For my own part I concentrate on the team with the ball, allowing the defending team to interact as my rules allow.

So as far as I’m concerned it’s not the rule version employed, it’s how we adapt those rules to get what we want in a solo context. All rules can be changed to suit, what we have to do is choose the rules that makes any adaptions or changes we make viable.

The beauty of solo allows us as players to innovate and adapt to our many and varied perceptions of football itself. That perception can be used In two player games providing all parties agree, but in Competition play conformity is necessary.

I’m sure everyone of a certain age remembers the big green boxes of the 60’s and 70’s with the now famous phrase “Reproducing all the thrills of real football”. At best it’s a simulation if the rules as written are adhered to. Unlike the solo variants I’ve had the pleasure of reading over the past few years which due to the innovation and adaption that players have conceived, have put a whole new meaning into that phrase.

Can We all just Do What We Want?

In a word yes. Non of us who play solo need to appease anyone else, conformity is not in our Subbuteo vocabulary. What is in or should be in our vocabulary is believability, and that is all down to our old friend perception, that’s the only thing to me that matters. If we believe our perceptions, and base our rules around them how can we fail, we’ve ticked all the boxes no matter what version or adapted rules we use.

Keep on Flicking

Ian


Comments

  1. If you're anything like me, I have my own set of rules as a guide, mistakes are made and unless it's a glaring mistake I just carry on. 50-50 decisions go with the team in possession, I try to play as quickly as possible less time to think, it's football not snooker. Like you say we're all different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed Ian … I think for
    Solo play I’d generally use what what we’d call late 60s rules ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here it's back to quotes from the early Handbooks, such as,

    "Every kick you have is an important one, . . . . . "

    "Positioning of the figures on your side has a large bearing on the results you will achieve",

    "Take careful aim, do not hurry, imagine you're playing shove ha'penny. . . . ."

    I find the slow, strategic game, played with the 18mm ball, more rewarding, with just as much drama, and also higher scores, even though there are fewer flicks per game.

    Certainly more Mark Selby than Marcus Rashford, but it suits me perfectly, and is all part of Subbuteo's rich and varied history.

    What is most important is the enjoyment we each get from our games. Must anyone else legislate for us?



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said it matters not how we play the game solo, as you rightly said it's the enjoyment we get from doing things our own way. We don't have to conform to any flavour of rules. From a personal point of view I try and maintain the core rules and adapt the rest to suit my own perception. As Ralph said we're all different, there's no right way, or a set of rules that will satisfy every solo player.

      Delete
  4. I find that the old flats are good for solo play because quite often they seem to exhibit a mind of their own ! particularly when they are used in tandem with an FF ball .. I don’t block when I solo play .. I find that the combination of flats - small ball and goals and a desire to replicate football moves rather than simply play subbuteo works for me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, Ralph. I find the combination of a baize pitch, FF balls and NN goals, produces the most rewarding and enjoyable games.

    The flats, though, have been replaced, at least temporarily, by Leggendas. If you think flats have a mind of their own, try a game with some of these chaps!

    I do block, but not as much as the sixties rules allow, as I find it gives defenders a chance to take part in play, rather than just stand like statues.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking The Mould

Offside Clear and Obvious?

My House, My Rules