So Who Scored Then?

If you play solo, and to be honest why would you be here if you didn’t. I would imagine a good percentage of you keep records of matches you play, and the record keeping can be as simple or as complex as one deems necessary. If you’re in the habit of giving the little folk names, the chances are you’ll at least want to know who scored. One could simply number each player and make a note of the number, and who it relates to on the team sheet, you can even buy decals that can be attached to players for this purpose. I must admit I’m not a fan of this method and don't bother, mainly because it can be slower to set up after a goal, especially if you’re putting each player back into position, or sorting things out at a goal kick.

Alternately

So there has to be a better way, one that doesn’t rely on numbering players, and placing them in the right position on the field. There’s probably many other ways, and I probably don’t know half of them. What I do know however is how I do things, and I’ll share that with you as one method. You can probably think of, or already use other methods because there’s no hard or fast rules here. All we’re trying to achieve is decide who scored.

The Percentage Game

I work on the principle that half the team is twice as likely to score than the other half. Your forwards and attacking midfielders are probably more likely to score than defenders and defensive midfielders. I’m not going to supply statistical proof for that statement, mainly because it would take one hell of a survey to either prove or disprove. It’s just something I assume based on the assumption that 50% to 60% are attack minded and the rest are defence minded, attack minded players are therefore more likely to be in a more forward position when the ball’s in the shooting area, and in my estimation that is about twice as likely.

I simply roll 2D6 at the end of the game to determine the goal scorers

Roll Dem Bones

The method I’ve used for a while now revolves around rolling 2 D6 after the game has finished. I roll for every goal scored (except penalties), in the game to decide who scored each goal, you could do it after every goal I just find it simpler at full time, I have enough to think about during a game without deciding who scored after every goal.

I use 2 D6 because there are 36 possible combinations which I equate to 100%, and if the dice total is 5,6,7,8, or 9, I know an attacking player has scored, if the dice total is 3, 4, 10, or 11, I’m assuming it’s a defender. Now the chance of rolling 5 to 9 is about 67%, compared to the chance of rolling a 3, 4, 10, or 11 at approximately 28%, so from that we’re somewhere in the ball park of being twice as likely to roll a 5 to 9 compared to any other number.

Now some eagle eyed readers are going to say but that only adds up to 95%, and you are correct. If the dice land on 2 or 12, I simply roll them again. I do this because sometimes some teams may be more attack minded than others, and by using the extremes on the dice roll it addresses that fact, maybe not accurately but it’s enough to favour the attack if it happens.

So How Does It Work

So if the dice roll is a 5 to 9, I award the goal to a player on the team sheet as follows:

5 refers to the No 7

6 refers to the No 8
7 refers to the No 9
8 refers to the No 10
9 refers to the No 11

To be fair you don’t actually need the reference chart above if you roll a 5 to 9 simply add 2 and Bob’s your Aunty you have your goal scorer.

If the the dice roll is 3, 4, 10, or 11, I then roll a single D6, and the number shown on the single dice represents the player with that number on the team sheet. If the number is 1, it’s simply rolled again, goalkeepers only score in my games if they are required to take a penalty in a shoot-out.

That as they say is that, fast and simple. So if a team score say 21 goals in my season, we could expect 7 of those goals to be scored by defenders, in reality it could be more. That fact doesn't bother me, it's just my way of distributing the goals scored throughout the team.

Penalties and Shoot-Outs

At the start of the season I usually nominate a couple of penalty takers for each team, One of them will be the active penalty taker who will take a penalty if awarded, should he miss the active penalty taker then passes to the next nominated player. If by chance he misses the next penalty a team is awarded be it in the same or a subsequent match the penalty taker reverts back again, and so on. So goals from penalties are not diced for because I know who took the spot kick.

Shoot-outs on the other hand are different, you could name each penalty taker as they take one, I don’t even bother, I just play the shoot-out and keep no record of which player took which penalty, You may feel differently to me, I must admit it’s not the detail I go to in such circumstances.

Keeping A Record

All my teams starting eleven don’t change throughout the season The same starting eleven usually play every game throughout the season, because players in my league are super fit, and they have to be to kick a ball as big as a chest of drawers around, such is the dedication in the Bonfire Alliance, Seriously though the only time I tend to change players is in the close season, I may bring a little fresh blood in especially if I’ve felt they’ve not given 100% over the season, or simply put because I feel like a change.

Anyway throughout the season each team sheet is updated after each match with any goals scored and awarded to the players who scored them. At the end of the season the player with the most goals gets the boot, of the golden variety, and we usually wish him all the best for the next season as he leaves for Manchester City. All in all a bit of fun, and just adds that little bit of realism into the proceedings. It just helps to breathe a little life into plastic figures in Solo Land.

So that’s how I do things, I know players that number the little folk and make sure they are put into the right position at kick off, restarts, and goal kicks. I’ve come across players players that do a similar thing to myself but use playing cards instead of dice, but it hardly matters as long as the method you use suits you. I like dice simple to use and percentage wise fit my criteria. Anybody that has followed my blog will know I do simple, I’d rather put my focus into playing rather than the paperwork, you may feel differently, and if you do I admire your resolve, we aim to please no one but ourselves

Keep on Flicking

Ian

Comments

  1. Why don’t you just pick ‘em up, look at their numbers, and write them down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I could, but as mentioned in the text I don't number them for the reasons I stated. Nothing stopping others doing so though and yes just as effective.

      Delete
    2. Yes I get where you’re coming from on this one Ian . Our
      flats teams are numbered and it doesn’t really bother me for solo play but if I’m playing someone else it can a
      bit distracting at times

      Delete
    3. I've never numbered my players, it was only when I started playing solo and producing team sheets I thought about this, I find it satisfactory for my needs. To be honest with you Ralph this is something that I never really thought about when playing an actual opponent, as my focus was somewhat different. Although saying that when my mates and I played in our youth we did let our imaginations dictate things to a certain extent.

      Delete
  2. It's all about the players here.

    One of the fascinations of solo play is how various formations cope against each other. One example could be a 'narrow' (England '66 type) 4-3-3 against an 'original' 4-2-4, which would probably be more direct and contain two traditional wingers.

    A quick glance at a team sheet provides a constant reminder of each player's position on the field, and, as they are from all eras dating back to 1947 in a few cases, provide many pleasant memories.

    It takes a little more time at set pieces, especially goal kicks, but it's considered to be worth the wait to maintain the pattern and balance of play, and also adds a bit more character to each game.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking The Mould

Offside Clear and Obvious?

My House, My Rules