New Season, New Rules, Update.

It’s been a while since my last post, I’ve had a few problems and issues over the last couple of months that needed my attention, But in that time I have managed to get season 2 of the Bonfire Alliance solo league underway. Back in May I discussed my ideas and changes I was going to make for the forthcoming season which were mainly centred around the way that defensive flicks are implemented.
The ideas and changes were made because I wanted to decrease (if I could) the goal tally without decreasing the amount of goal scoring chances, because like everyone else on planet Subbuteo the more I played, the better I became, the more goals I was scoring. I wanted to reduce the goal tally slightly to make the scorelines  a little more realistic. (A 3-3 draw now again looks exciting but not every match).
So I began the Season with a string of friendlies to get used to the changes but felt that they were not working as well as I envisaged. So it was back to the drawing board.

Originally I was basically using a limited version of defensive flicks in the ‘68 rules, but instead of utilising them when the ball entered the defensive half of the pitch, my defensive blocks started when the ball entered the defensive shooting area, but I kept the “Warn shooting rule”, allowing first time shots with no reaction from the defence. This rule was in the ‘68 version but I did notice in the ‘69 version the “Warn shooting rule”, had quietly disappeared. That alone seems to be the only difference between the 2 sets of rules, apart from a few word changes that did nothing to make them less ambiguous, no wonder casual players from my era implemented them in slightly differing ways. I like the “Warn shooting rule” but a lot of goals in my games were coming from this route, and to compensate my defences were becoming packed I didn’t want this. It was making defences even more static than they already were. I could possibly see why the rule had been dropped in ‘69.

New Regime

After scrapping my changes before they had taken effect, I was struggling and void of meaningful ideas.

I was watching Alan Crampton of Subbuteo Passion on YouTube, and noticed how he implemented defensive flicks, simple yet effective, every time a team took a shot their opponents blocked, but that block was not allowed to obstruct the shooting player from playing the ball, (Alan’s rules can be found on the Subbuteo Passion Website), I tried this method, (It was similar to my discarded “Covering block” I discussed last May but this gave me an entirely different approach, thanks to Alan Crampton). Yes it worked, but I didn’t want every shot with a defender in the way, I wanted the ability to take a shot unopposed under certain circumstances just like the real game. So started the head scratching once again, and I have to be careful these days because the old head is more open to the elements than it once was, and splinters are more of a risk than they once were. Then I hit the nail on the head. If that conjures up a picture of me knocking nails into my skull or a scene from “Hellraiser”, look away now.
 
A Santiago based heavyweight team painted by Paul Pearson. Courtesy of the Subbuteo Asylum Website.
 

The Free Hit

Enter Stage right “The Free Hit”. I was going to call it the Free Flick but that’s just going to confuse some folk into thinking I mean a free kick of some sort, which I don’t, it’s just a way of allowing the attack to squeeze off an unopposed shot now and again to stop me knocking nails into my head. It works like this:

If the attack play the ball into the shooting area they can shoot immediately unopposed providing that the attacker taking the shot is closer to the ball than the nearest defender.

If the attack gain possession inside the shooting area they have one flick before the defence can block, again allowing a first time shot.

Finally any set piece inside the area, the attack can play the ball once (not including the taking of the set piece), before the defence can react, yet again allowing the good old first timer.

So now defensive blocking occurs before a shot on goal providing the attack is not entitled to a free hit, in theory the defensive flicks are not limited to how many that can be used, the only limiting factor is the free hit rule.

There are one or two caveats to this, the main one being that the block is not allowed to end up in the 6 yard box, or contact the goalkeeper, if it does it’s simply returned to it’s original position in essence “A back”. This simply stops a tactic of flicking a defender into the 6 yard box every time a shot is made, or should I say it stops me. A blocking flick that contacts an opponent is a foul, and if contact with the ball is made I treat that as handball, and 9 times out of 10 that will result in a penalty due to the implementation of only blocking shots and not allowing the defender to obstruct the shooting player. So far its working for me, The average goals per game has dropped from well over 4 to under 3.5. First time shots are still available but not as numerous as they once were. So I’ve kept my love of first time shots, reduced the goal tally, and allowed defences to defend a little further forward than last season. So I’ve achieved what I set out to do, and a little more into the bargain.

Penalties

My trusted method of taking penalties, ball on the spot, penalty taker anywhere on “D” method has served me well, but it’s getting a bit easy nowadays, I rarely miss, so I thought I’d make it a little more difficult. So now the penalty taker starts his run up from the shooting line, I’m now at about 80% conversion rate again which is to me at least about right. Just to add a little spice into the mix if a match requires a penalty shoot out I use the same method but with a smaller ball. That's the only time my small balls come out, (What kind of picture am I painting here, if you read that sentence out of context, anyway I digress), I refuse to practice taking penalties with them to keep it as random as I can.

For shoot outs I did try another method. Ball just outside the shooting area, then the attacker had 3 flicks from there to get the ball into the shooting area and get a shot away allowing the goalkeeper to be positioned after each flick. I quickly abandoned the method not because it didn’t work, but because it didn’t feel right, maybe I’m just too old school.

Other Changes, and Maybe Some Useful Info? 

Considering I have a set of BBB solo Goalkeepers I’ve decided this season to make use of them, I use the two in diving pose, they provide a fairly large target to beat and work quite well as discussed in an earlier post, I still think they are a little over priced and any modellers amongst us may and probably would be able to construct something for a lot cheaper. That apart I have them so I’m utilising them.

I did notice after trawling the internet for something totally unrelated, a site called “The Subbuteo Asylum”, they amongst other things offer a few 3D printed items one of which I found most interesting, If you still play with the Set N goals they do a pair of plastic bases that allow the old set N’s to be just slotted in so that the base can be attached to the playing board (if you’re lucky enough to have one) and the goals can be just slotted into place, and removed for easy storage after the final whistle. They also are open to enquiries so maybe if someone enquires about a similar set for the smaller NN goals they may consider it you never know.

They also offer hand painted teams to order with distinct types. First up is Paul Lloyd who paints Topspins to order as I’m sure most of you are aware, and there’s a guy Paul Pearson who is painting Santiago and 2K4 figures to order, looking at the examples of both guy’s endeavours on the site they look extremely well painted. I have a few Topspins painted by Paul Lloyd and I’m very impressed. Mark Parker from Santiago also offers this service again very impressed with his efforts as well, but unfortunately at the time of writing Mark is not offering the painted service at the moment, So if you’re after Santiago hand painted items Paul Pearson may be your man, (I've included a picture of his work above). How good his work is I can only say from looking at the images on the Subbuteo Asylum Website but if you’re interested get in touch with them. Just to make it clear though I have no affiliation with any of people or websites mentioned it’s purely my honest opinion, for what it’s worth.

Keep on Flicking

Ian

Comments

  1. Great read Ian. I too use the defensive flick rules from the Advanced 68 rules but as per those rules these are allowed as soon as the ball is in the attacking half and they have had one contact with the ball in the half.

    Then just a maximum of 3 defensive flicks allowed unless the attack pass the ball backwards, a save is made or loss of possession which would all result in the 3 defensive flicks being replenished. If the 3 are used up then it means you could potentially have a shot on goal with no defender in the way.

    I found the Table Football Monthly July 2020 episode really helpful to visually see this explained by Keith. Which is in this link for those that haven't seen it, the Advanced 68 Rules demo starts at the 47:26 mark for those that haven't seen it. https://youtu.be/skZOp60ZVlU

    One change I made is defensive flicks couldn't block the attacker getting to the ball they could just be made in front of the ball/to block the potential pass route or shot path.

    So far this has been working and my goal games rarely end up with more than 3 goals in them with only the odd game being 4 so far and many 1 or 2. However this might change overtime.

    Other rules I have added are all connected around the spare flicking keeper use. If the ball stops in the 6 yard box I have this as change of possession and flicking keeper can play the ball out. Also, been experimenting with if the attack kick the ball into the opposition box but no attacker is over the shooting line then the defence can choose to use their flicking keeper to come out and play a one time flick at the ball. He must be flicked from the 6 yard box. However, unless it hits a player on the defending team or goes out of play then it's still the attacking teams ball and my spare keeper loss of possession comes into play. See below. This all trys to mimic in football when the ball is over hit the keeper might come out to clear the ball 'sweeper' keeper.

    My loss of possession rule using the flicking keeper. So instead of the rule I think from either 68 or the 70's handbooks that came with the sets which says if the flicking keeper loses possession then the opposition is allowed 3 flicks before he can be replaced by the keeper on a stick.

    The rule I have implemented is if he loses possession then you have to flick him back to 6 yard box. Once he is back into 6 yard box he can be replaced by your 'saving' keeper but only after opposition have had another flick.

    Essentially these keeper flicks are alternating to opposition flicks replacing any usual defensive flicks.

    Attacking team can shoot from anywhere in opposition half until above is achieved.

    This mimics keeper making mistake and being caught out while trying to get back to the goals. Creating those Beckam moments like he did against Wimbledon.

    If at anytime the attacking team loose possession the opportunity to shoot from anywhere is over.

    These rules with the spare keeper have created some very exciting moments both solo play and when I tried it out in 2 player games with my friend. Been a great disussion on this in the Subbuteo Alive and Flicking Facebook group too.

    Love the penalty rule ideas of where the player must start from. I have been using the 5 points along the shooting line rule from the 70s handbook as more of a challenge than from the spot and player next to the ball especially in solo. Really like your idea as will still mimic real football with the ball being on the penalty spot but made challenging as player is coming from a distance so will give this a try.

    On the topic of bespoke handpainted teams you those painters yoy mentioned are great I also highly recommend a guy called Alan Porter they are 2K4 and you can either have them on Image 2 or Raptor bases. Loved his teams and customer service so much I now have a collection of 50+ teams from him. Yes I have a problem 😂


    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your detailed comment Phil. It's always a pleasure to read how others adapt or include rules to suit their own brand of solo games. I especially like your adaptions made around the flicking goalkeeper, and I totally concur that it could work within a 2 player game as well as solo, unlike some of the adaptations we make to accommodate our solo play.
    I too find solo rules work in progress, it becomes a natural progression to our own enjoyment, and that's what it's all about I'm sure you agree.
    I've tried numerous methods when a shoot-out is required, and I've still settled on the good old penalty, whether my method would work with the wider flatter bases I have no idea, as I only play with Heavyweights, like all things solo you have to find a method that suits yourself, you have no one else to please but yourself, thus giving you free rein, or the ability to cherry pick other ideas from other players, and even expand on them to suit yourself.

    I must admit I have never heard of Alan Porter, so thanks for sharing. Again thank you for taking the time to comment, there are some interesting ideas in there, which may well help others who find themselves void of inspiration.

    Many thanks

    Ian

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking The Mould

Offside Clear and Obvious?

My House, My Rules