New Season, New Rules

The next season of the Bonfire Alliance will again be underway sometime around the middle of July. Why such a long break? Well other things need my attention. Man cannot live by Subbuteo alone, and I’m sure my long suffering Wife would agree with that statement. Also the Euros will be in full flow, but shush don’t let my Wife know I want it to be a surprise.
Next seasons Bonfire Alliance fixtures have been generated, the first round cup draw has been made, with the addition of 4 non league teams, and all rule changes have been tested and written up. So everything is in place to hit the ground running, but that is not why you called.
The rules changes I’ve made are not radical or ground breaking, they are basically tweaks related to last seasons games. I didn’t want to change the way I like to play, or have to remember a plethora of new rules, I just want maximum enjoyment from my efforts. As is my way I’ve not changed any core rules that have been present for almost 75 years, but tweaked my house rules that allow me to play solo.

 

Modified Blocking Rules

Last year I shared with you my blocking rules, but after playing a full season with those rules, I decided that some tweaking was necessary to lessen or should I say hopefully lessen the goal tally slightly. My reasons for wanting to do this is purely a personal preference to make the scores a little more (and I say this tongue in cheek), believable.

Last season my blocking rules were simple, once the ball had been played by the attack inside the Shooting Area the defence were allowed a blocking flick, and only gained another if the goalkeeper touched the ball, or after a 2nd touch by the attack in the area after a set piece. Anytime the ball is played out of the area resets the blocking flick. Blocking flicks were also allowed by the defence after the attack had an onside flick.

So blocking flicks are in limited supply and although I feel that they are necessary I don't want them disrupting the flow of my solo games. One thing however that did crop up was the amount of goals scored by attackers who played the ball into the area and followed up with a shot before the defence were allowed a block. One method I tried was allow a block as soon as the ball was played into the area, this was better, but stopped the majority of first time shots from the attacking team.

I like the idea of the attack allowed a first time shot from an accurate pass without the defence allowed to react but the above method as stated would no longer allow this. So I had gone literally from all to nothing. Yes it reduced the number of goal bound chances, but had taken a little spontaneity out of the game.
 
The Covering block must end up behind the line of the ball

 

The Covering Block

So after a little head scratching (and scratching of other nameless parts), I came up with the covering block. After play testing in some mid season friendlies I found the following went some way to achieving my goals, or in this case the desired reduction.

My modified rule is basically the same, but if an attacker plays the ball into the shooting area, that attacker can still have a shot with its next flick (providing it can), but the attack must wait for the defence to take their blocking flick before shooting. This block I’ve called a covering block and takes the place of the normal block. One thing though the covering block must end up between the line of the ball and its own goal line. If the defender ends up in the in the area between the attacker now shooting and the ball the defender is replaced to its former position and forfeits their teams right to block until an opportunity arises again.

So to sum that up:

An attacker that plays the ball into the area and then decides to shoot with it’s next flick, allows the defence a covering block, and must wait for a covering defensive block to be taken, (unless that attacker hits a moving ball). This does not stop another attacker taking a shot denying the defence a covering block.

A covering block by the defence must end up behind the line of the ball, if it doesn’t the defender is put back into it’s original position and the block is lost.

The modification is not a radical change, but in all the games I’ve played this way it has seemed to have had the desired effect without changing my gameplay too drastically. So I have made a decision to go with this method next season.
 

Making Sense of Fouls

Under my current regime all blocking flick misdemeanours are fouls, strike an opponent or the ball with a blocking flick and a foul is committed. Nothing wrong with that in my world, I also extended that courtesy to onside flicks, but I started to have doubts after a defender contacted an attacker with its onside block giving away a penalty, only trouble was the attack had possession just outside their own shooting area. Call me old fashioned (you wouldn’t be the first), but that just didn’t seem right to me. I awarded the penalty, cus dems the rules.

To stop this happening next season Onside flicks only commit fouls if the ball is contacted. At least if a foul is committed with an onside flick the ball should be in theory in the same half. Again not a drastic change but I feel a sensible one.
 

Positional Flick Changes

Last seasons rules stated that if a positional flick (corners, free kicks, etc.) hit an opponent it was an automatic back. This season I’ve scrapped that providing if contact is made the player that is knocked isn’t displaced too far. Now how far is too far, I think about 25mm is about as far as I will allow before I will award a back.

Another change I’ve made is with free kicks, and throw ins between the shooting areas. Under these circumstances the attacking team can decide to take a quick free kick of throw in by not allowing any positional flicks. But only between the shooting areas, any set piece within the confines of either area will always be subject to positional flicks.
 
Goal Kicks
 
I’ve altered positioning at goal kicks, I was finding things becoming too similar and the forwards at times were not allowed to press as they couldn’t get placed any closer than 90mm from the shooting line, and that was by design as my rules dictated. So now I’m allowing players inside their opponents shooting area to be placed anywhere outside of the area, and all other players can be placed no closer than 90mm away from their opponents shooting line.

To be honest it’s not a drastic change, what it does allow is attackers in the opposing shooting areas to keep a high line. Conversely if a team is concentrated in it’s own half players can be moved forward but must be no closer than 90mm away than their opponents shooting line. So now I’m not automatically positioning players in sort of set positions. If the forwards aren’t up there they cannot get any closer than 90mm. I’ve tried it in a few practice games and it has made for a slightly more tactical game. 

 
Finally

And that’s about it, nothing ground breaking or life changing just an attempt to make next season’s Bonfire Alliance another enjoyable experience.

One final note just to add a little spice into the mix, I’ve added a yellow card system. Two fouls by a team equates to one yellow card. Two yellow cards in a match and the flicking goalkeeper gets an early bath. All yellow cards are cumulative and at any point in the season a team acquires 5 yellow cards, the flicking keeper misses the next match. Once a team acquires 10 yellow cards the flicking keeper again misses the next match and so on. 

At this point in time I’m having trouble recruiting flicking keepers who now think they’re being victimised.
 
If you’re interested in my modified solo rules they can be found  Here  or on the downloads page.

Keep on Flicking

Ian


Comments

  1. Great blog Ian, for defensive flicks I use the 68 Rules so only 3 once attack in opposition half, unless the ball is passed backwards but all with the restriction you describe for the covering block. Ian are you on Facebook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that should "unless Ball is passed backwards the 3 are reset"

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your comment, I have tried to get away from the 3 defensive flick regime to speed up my play, it suits me and my style of play. I know a few people that play your way or should I say the 60's way with great success. I tried it but found it was slowing me down a little too much. Since my youth I've always played continual blocking as they were the competition rules at the time. It's surprising how many solo players have similar ideas and rules to that of my own. If it works no need to change it eh!.
      Yes I am on Facebook, may I ask why your interested? I'm also a member of the ISF are you?

      Delete
  2. Thanks Ian so do you still use defensive flicks all over the field in your solo play like you did in competitive play?

    I have come to realise I like many play a combination of rules taken from the Subbuteo rule books released by themselves in box sets so some from the 70's, 80's but then the defensive flicks from the 60's plus additional rules or adjustments to the original rules all to add to enjoyment and 'realism'. I was asking about Facebook as I set a group up back in March.

    It is dedicated to those in the hobby who still like to play Subbuteo Table Football/Soccer either Solo or with Family and Friends to recreate/mimic association football either via teams representing real world clubs of any era or using fantasy teams. There are match reports, members competitions they are playing out, exchange of ideas on rules etc. So thought it might be of interest to you.

    I think I found you on FB and have messaged you about it. So hopefully you got a message from Phil Marsden which is me.

    I am not a member of the forum.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breaking The Mould

Offside Clear and Obvious?

My House, My Rules